Memorial Weekend is a time of relaxation, friends and family, sunshine, grilling, and, of course, beer. Skipping out on your typical “crap beer” like Coors, Bud Light, and the rest of the bland styled brews. Instead, it is time to venture out into the craft beer landscape where an array of different styles and flavors await to excite your taste buds. Here is a simple list of five craft beers to try this Memorial Weekend.
- Elysian Brewing Def Leppard Pale Ale: This newly released pale and slightly hoppy ale is just what the craft beer doctor ordered for those seeking a lighter sided beer, and yet with a smooth flavor that literally rocks your world. With a juicy citrus flavor and a nice malt balance, herbal and black pepper characters finishing off clean and moderately bitter. Sip up and rock on!
- New Belgium Brewing Hemporer HPA: In efforts to really venture off into the depths of the craft beer universe and cause people to think you are carrying bud on you, this hoppy, skunky ale is the way too go. Initial pour presents a dank aroma followed by roasted wood and resin character with hints of citrus hops and lemon peel. Each sip shows flavors of hop resin, ruby red grapefruit, and a slight smoky character along with balanced notes of sweetness. Overall this hemp inspired ale is refreshing and delicious.
- Brooklyn Brewery Bel Air Sour: Going in the other direction, from bitter to sour, this sour ale is sure to quench your thirst while making you pucker in delight. Presenting a pink color with aromas of freshly picked peaches, pink grapefruit, dark cherries, rose petals and a balanced herbal like character. Refreshing flavors of tart dark cherries and tangy pink grapefruit followed by notes of juicy peaces is sure to cool you off while grille side.
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Kolsch German-Style Ale: Hailing from Germany originally and then brewed up by Sierra Nevada, this light bodied, crisp ale is perfect for those hot days while laying on a floaty in the pool. Subtle notes of hops with a nice pale malt backbone that provides a sweet balance that is both refreshing and soothing to the body and mind. If this beer doesn’t calm the soul as the kids try and tip you over in the pool, then I don’t know what will.
- Karbach Brewing Tasty Waves Summer Ale: Brewed up in the southern, giant state of Texas where the word summer is equivalent to that of hell. Hot enough to know what refreshing beer truly means and Karbach Brewing has capitalized on brewing up just that. This tasty ale is easy drinking with a smooth pale malt flavor backed by citrus notes and a refreshing, slightly sweet, crisp finish. Crack one open and come to know what staying cool in the summer is all about.
Don’t settle for less when you can have more, so this Memorial Weekend make sure you pick up some new brews and get ready to really enjoy the holiday! Hope you have a great holiday weekend and please subscribe for more news and reviews from around the country. Cheers and God bless!